Puritan Belief

The Puritans are the men of God who started in the 16th century building on the purity of the gospel message that Salvation is by Grace alone.

Vocation Doubter

define Vocation: The distinct calling of God.

Mr Vocation Doubter: I believe that there was no such thing as a distinct and powerful call of God to man other then by the general voice of the Word. Otherwise than to appeal to them to turn from evil and repent, and to do that which is good, and in so doing a promise of happiness is realised.

Rebuttal and Judgement: You have denied a great part of one of the most experimental truths in Jesus Christ. For he has called, and man has heard a most distinct and powerful call from his Emmanuel, by which he has been quickened, awakened, and possessed with heavenly grace to desire to have communion with Jesus, to serve him, and do his will and to look for his happiness merely of his good pleasure. For doubting this Mr Vocation Doubter you will surely die. (John Bunyan)

Add Your Comment(3)

Vocation Doubter
Posted by Correy Wednesday, March 08, 2006

3 Comments:

Blogger Modern Day Magi said...

I guess my main problem with God only offeing salvation to a few, was ...not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9
As you could see from my post Acting on Proverbs 25:2 I admitted to not having read portions of the New Testament. I aslo stated that I am trying to remedy this.
Upon reading the whole of 2 Peter 3 as I find that this verse is specifically talking about the church. So there goes my inference that God desires none, period, to perish, but rather He desires none of His church, or Elect, to perish.

March 08, 2006 11:15 AM   Edit
Blogger Correy said...

"Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

"but the desire of the righteous shall be granted."

How much more will the Lord get all that he desires. For all those whom He calls will be quickened, awakened, and possessed with heavenly grace.

March 08, 2006 4:23 PM   Edit
Blogger Michael Pendleton said...

I think my main interest in all these discussions is my personal calling.

I simply cannot deny that God came to me and called me. The one thing is that I knew it was a choice. I was left with a choice.

I think I'm going to post on my actual full experience. I have been ostracized before for stating my experience (God doesn't speak like that anymore is generaly the argument) but I'm beyond other peoples opinions now.

March 08, 2006 9:45 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Puritan Belief